North Bondi Nippers is run entirely by volunteers. You can help in a number of ways.
Every age group is run by age managers, typically parents from the age group. Age managers lead the age group each week, running activities, educating and coaching the nippers.
- All Age Managers must undertake a training course for approximately 3 hours. This course is scheduled for Sunday 9 October from 10m – 1pm at North Bondi SLSC.
- All Age Managers must be a general member of North Bondi SLSC. General membership has an annual cost of $50 and members receive full access to the club (including bathrooms but excluding the gym).
- It’s a good idea for Age Managers to have their bronze medallion, but not essential.
- Age managers are provided with a shirt to wear during Sunday Nippers and at carnivals.
When you help?
- Run their age group each Sunday.
- Communicate with their age group, in person and via email, on all nipper matters.
- Attend carnivals (if their children are competing), and coordinating nippers and teams.
- Contribute to North Bondi Nippers development camp selections and other areas as required.
General help on Sundays
All parents can help by:
- Lending a hand to your age managers with activities.
- Assisting with beach setup and packup when your age group is rostered on – this is an expectation of all nipper parents.
The water safety crew is one of the most vital volunteer parent roles we have at nippers. Water safety wear the orange shirts and ensure the safety of nippers in the water.
Surf Life Saving Australia sets strict ratios for water safety to nippers – 1:5 for proficient nippers, 1:1 for non-proficient nippers. We need a high level parent support for water safety.
- Current Bronze Medallion
- A training course which combines theory and practical, covering knowledge of basic patrolling and surf awareness. A course outline is available on the SLSNSW website.
- Run by North Bondi SLSC trainers at North Bondi (or nearby).
- Generally held over approximately 8 weeks, including weeknights and weekends.
- Details of upcoming courses are advertised by email throughout the year.
- North Bondi SLSC membership for insurance purposes
- Water safety uniform – provided as required
- Meet annual Bronze Medallion proficiency requirements.
When you help?
There is a minimum of 40 hours per season of water safety required to maintain your Bronze Medallion. You can build hours by helping when you can at:
- Sunday North Bondi nippers
- Carnivals – only if your child(ren) attends. At carnivals, water safety usually have the opportunity to nominate the water area (age group) they’d like to work in, ensuring you are where your child is.
During the season there are many optional carnivals run for U8-U14 nippers. North Bondi Nippers is generally required to provide officials at these events, in particular, Branch Championships and State Championships. Officials are those people responsible for the conduct of surf sport events. Officiating roles include referees, starters, judges, recorders and marshals across all of the surf sports disciplines (flags, sprints, surf race, board etc).
Officials accreditation comes in three levels (Level 1, Level 2, Level 3). New officials will need to complete a Level 1 Officials accreditation.
- Level One Officials qualification, a part-day training course
- Courses are free for nipper parents and advertised throughout the year
- Depending on the carnival, uniforms may be provided
- North Bondi SLSC full membership for insurance purposes
When you help?
- At carnivals – in particular, Branch Championships and State Championships.
- Officials have the opportunity to nominate age group areas and roles they would like to officiate in, ensuring you are where your child is