Overview of Course
Here is a brief summary of the SRC course and timings for the coming season.
Non-competing Nippers who wish to graduate into the senior club this season must complete their SRC by 31 March 2020. The post Xmas SRC courses will start on Sunday 2 February 2020. Hence the club will run 2 SRC courses before Xmas for competing Nippers only, and 1 or 2 courses after Xmas for non competing Nippers.
Only Nippers who wish to compete at State can do the pre Xmas SRC courses.
All SRC courses will be run on Sunday mornings (times tbc nearer the date).
There are 3 pre-requisites to undertaking the SRC course:
- You must complete a 200m pool swim in less than 5 minutes; and
- You must have completed the SRC enrolment and payment form before the course starts; and
- You must be 13 when the course finishes.
- Click here for the SRC enrolment and payment form
The timed swim for all U14 Nippers (competitor or not) will take place at Icebergs on Saturday 21 September 2019. Meet at the surf club at 2pm and then we’ll wander down to Icebers.
SRC 1 & 2 will start on Sunday 13 October at 8am (that is the week before Nippers starts), and continue each week (times tbc).
Timing (see schedule at end)
- Course takes 6 – 8 weeks
- 2 hours classroom session, Sundays from 9.15am
- 1 hour beach work on Sundays from 11.30am
- Two mid week night sessions in week5/6 TBD
- Normal nippers 7.30am/8am to 9am
- Put in additional time as required
- You will be provided a manual and learner guide which is yours to keep
- All training equipment(boards, rescue tubes, manikins etc) will be provided by the club.
- Each course will be run by club trainers and helpers who will deliver the training and be your point of contact during the course.
- You will need to bring the manuals with you to each session and for the water sessions bring all you need for going into the water – swimmers, goggles, towel, warm clothes, you can wear a wetsuit if you want (although cannot wear wetsuit for the run swim run in the real assessment).
- For the theory sessions, wear casual clothes.
- The course will be run in the NBSLSC
- The weekend beach sessions will be at North Bondi – post Nipper time
- IMPORTANTParents/Guardians – Please ensure arrangements to pick your children are in place
- The assessment is split into two
- Part A – weeknight (assessing theory- classroom)
- Part B – weekend content (assessing practical- beach)
- You will have practice assessments within the club and then the real assessment with Waverly District Assessors once the squad is ready.
- Assessments will start around week 6 depending on the Waverly District Assessment Calendar.
What Happens After you have finished the SRC?
- Following completion of SRC, you will be allocated to a Patrol and you start patrolling the beach for Nth Bondi
- You will be expected to meet your Patrol obligations ~25hrs per full season until you do your bronze.
- Note specific requirements for competitors – approx. 8 hours prior to 31/12/2018 31 December.
- You will be presented with your SRC Certificate at the end of season
- There will be a graduation presentation at the conclusion of the course
- Once you turn 15 you can do the Bronze Medallion Course (and there’s lots more courses after that).